Two Families...One Common Bond

Just two more days until my cousin's wedding! I am so excited! My mom's family only has six original cousins, and as of Saturday, we will have two cousins-in-law. Because there are 21 cousins on my Dad's side, it is hard to adjust to only seven young people (including myself) at Herrington family gatherings.
But what is interesting is that I love it! The Johnson cousins are really close. We have a club, two plays a year, sleepovers, two clubhouses, three tree houses, nicknames, and other traditions to share. Even though the seven older cousins don't hang out with us much, the original seven younger cousins...plus the seven youngest ones...are super close.
On the other hand, the Keller kids and the Johnson kids mainly just talk and eat when they hang out. It isn't that we aren't creative...we just have less time together. One of the best times I have had with my cousin Jenna was when I spent three days at her house. We went swimming, stayed up past midnight at her friend Amber's house, played Guitar Hero, did a drive-by (and had Jenna convinced that some guys were following us), and hung out with Candace, Jenna's sister-in-law. It was a blast, and I had a really cool talk with Jenna at the pool that brought us closer.
It is so interesting to see how different...and the same...my two families are. The Herringtons get together for weekends every other month or so. The Johnsons get together twice a year for two weeks each time. Both sides are bound together by love and respect for each other, but the relationship is different.
The best part about my Dad's side is that we promised each other, as cousins, that we would NEVER stop hanging out. Even if there are years when none of us can make it...we will find time. That warms my heart. Both sides of the family have relationships that were broken for good in past generations. Well, this generation is going to stay together...because "We love each other!"

Comments

Popular Posts