Applying the Fruits

I went on a spiritual solitude retreat yesterday morning with a few people from campus. It was wonderfully restful and refreshing, but I just wanted to talk about a few things that I got out of it.
First of all, I have been wrestling with a very personal question for a while, and spending several hours in solitude guided me towards the answer. I am not there yet, but the combination of that and talking with a friend about it last night really helped clear up some anxieties in my mind. God is good.
Second, I have been looking for healing from the heart-wrenching experience that I went through earlier in the semester, and God showed me ways that He is going to give me that healing. It will not be an easy process, nor will it be a fast one. But my Father is here and He will be with me every step of the way, holding me close for as long as I permit Him to be that near.
Third, I made a discovery while journaling my thoughts and prayers. I saw a picture on the wall that listed the Fruits of the Spirit and stared at it for a few seconds, thinking. I knew that there was a good reason why I couldn't look away. Finally I realized that, in applying these attributes to your relationships, following them in the order that they are listed in the passage (love, joy, peace, patience, kindness, goodness, faithfulness, gentleness, and self control) will change your life. Explanation:
By loving everyone, you are treating them as Christ would treat them.
This brings unexplainable joy, followed by peace that surpasses all understanding.
When a relationship is not going the way that you would like (or even if it is), practicing patience with that person and showing them kindness will hopefully trigger reciprocated grace.
Goodness to others walks hand in hand with faithfulness, especially when the relationship is rocky or crumbling away.
No matter what the other person's behavior tends to be, gentleness breaks down walls and presents you as a caring individual who wants to be Jesus to others.
If the relationship is improved by these attributes, self control should be exercised in order to avoid awkward , painful situations.

The best part about this application is that it can also be applied to a friendship that has failed. As I walked myself through all of the Fruits in my relationship that is now dead, I discovered that I could finally find healing if I really desired it. Peace, faithfulness, and self control are probably the three most difficult to apply in my specific scenario, but self control especially will very much aid me in preventing a repeat of what has occurred in the past few months.

I hope all of this makes sense to you. It is hard to describe how excited I was (and am) to know this truth. Through my Jesus, I have been made absolutely new, and I will live in that freedom and find healing for my deep wounds. My God is able.

Comments

Popular Posts