When a non-academic gets an A...

I earned an A in a gen ed course this semester.

Okay, so that's probably the most unique opening to a post I've come up with so far, and it might sound a little bit weird to some people that this is a big deal. But if you know me very well, you'll understand why getting an A is so important in this particular situation. Here's the thing: getting an A doesn't come easy to people like me. Until I started taking classes within my major, I never got an A in any of my NW classes. And even now that I am taking mostly writing classes, it takes a lot for me to get there.

I've spent my time in college surrounded by honors students and overall smart people who get upset about a B on an exam or anything under an A for a final grade, all while I settle for a C on an exam and breathe a sigh of relief when I earn a B at the end of the semester. Am I bitter about that? Certainly not. Those smart friends of mine have motivated me to work harder than I thought I was capable in order to get close to keeping up with them. Even though they sometimes forget that I can't actually achieve the same academic goals as they have, I appreciate the encouragement and support they give me.

Back to my opening sentence. I've never gotten an A in a gen ed class until now. Can we just get excited for a minute? I've released seven short films in a semester, I can crank out six pages of a paper in one day, but I could never actually succeed in a general education course. I don't normally like talking about academics on here because I'm not necessarily proud of my GPA or my grades all the time; this is definitely an exception.

So now that I have completed my junior year as well as my writing major, let me just say one thing: all classes I choose to take from now on--with the exception of one per semester as well as a print practicum in the fall semester--will be for fun, to learn things I want to study about. I finally get to take a nonfiction writing course this fall; I am planning on expanding my film knowledge and I shall be writing a one-act play; Julia and I are taking a public relations class together with one of our favorite professors; I'm on the campus newspaper staff as a copy editor again, but this time it will be with my roommates (hopefully all four of them). I'm finally free to pursue the creative part of my liberal arts education to the fullest.

And wow, I am so excited.

Song of the post: this version of Fever Fever "Blue" captured my attention and I'm in love with the ending.

God loves me, and God's love is enough.

Comments

Post a Comment

Popular Posts