When a publisher starts the first day...

Close to a month ago, I wrote a post attempting to explain my new job...and to be honest, I felt like I was doing a poor job of describing it. Of course, this happened before I graduated college (WHAAAAT?), moved into an apartment, attended two days of training in Texas (that trip is a long, strange story of God's grace...but we won't get into that here), and watched my baby sister (who is no longer a baby at all) graduate from high school. So as I stand in my apartment kitchen and stretch my cramped legs after sitting cross-legged on the floor for hours, allow me to elaborate. 
My office is so official these days.

--Best Version Media hired me as a publisher for the Southwest Ames area. This involves launching a magazine for the southwest neighborhoods in the city as an independent contractor who technically answers to a division manager and a regional manager, as well as the Home Office staff in Wisconsin. My magazine will be called Neighbors of SW Ames.

--My daily job involves calling businesses in Ames to ask if they would be willing to meet with me in person and talk about possibly signing a contract to sponsor the magazine and, in return, receive a certain amount of advertising space in the magazine. If they say yes, I set up a time to meet and hopefully what follows is a "yes" and a contract.

--Since I don't have a magazine in print yet, I am technically an Associate Publisher. Until I reach my baseline (which is the amount of money required to fund the magazine, pay the designer/content coordinator, and distrubute the magazine each month) and go to print with the first issue, I won't receive a paycheck. This is just scary enough to give every publisher a little incentive to reach their baseline and go to print as quickly as possible.

--Like most salespeople, I'm paid on commission. Pretty straightforward.

--My main goal when connecting with business owners is to get them excited about the possibility of advertising to an extremely local audience with hopes of becoming a more tightly knit community.

Today was my first day on the job, officially. Although I didn't have Julia around to cheer me on (she's in London until the 9th) and I got started a couple hours later than I had hoped, I have to admit that today was a success. I feel really good about the things I accomplished and was able to move on from the things that didn't work out.

If you want to hear more, please shoot me a message. I can't give away too much info on the Internet because of BVM rules, but I'd love to go into detail if anyone is curious. I had fun talking to my extended family and a couple of family friends about it at Natalie's grad party on Saturday, so my explanation skills are all warmed up. ;)

Now if you'll excuse me, my celebratory pizza rolls are just about cool enough to eat.

Comments

  1. Ummmm...that is exciting, exhilarating, and nerve racking all at the same time! But, if anyone can do this...and do it well...it is you. For such a time as this, sweet girl. Can't wait to hear more.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular Posts