Another day, another job.

So life changed recently.

Sometimes I agonize over these cold openings. I feel as if I need to pull you all in, to keep you invested in my words because I'm afraid of boring you to the point that you click away before I'm finished. It's probably just part of being human, right? Always afraid that someone else doesn't care about us or what we have to say. That we may be shouting into an empty void that laughs coldly at us when we ask for a response.

But I digress. Life changed.

If you weren't aware, I had previously been working for Panera Bread as a delivery driver, starting back in August of 2016. I started that job with a sinking heart, still recovering from the summer I had endured full of emotional breakdowns and zero income. It took a while, but I gained some confidence back; specifically, I learned my way around parts of my city...which at the time, didn't yet feel like "my" city.

I picked up a couple of freelance gigs, but mostly I just struggled through each month, praying for every paycheck to be large enough to cover my too-expensive rent and my student loan payment. Meanwhile, I slowly built friendships with some of my coworkers. I had a goal of getting a better job by the end of a year's time.

My first year anniversary came and went, with no exciting revelations. It wasn't until late October that I ran across a business card for a cleaning company; quite literally, the owner handed me her card when I delivered food to her, saying, "You and the other drivers should come work for me!" I tried not to look too excited about the idea of a full time job with weekly paychecks and no weekend/night shifts.

Fast forward to November 6...my first day of work. I came home and cried for the first few days; it was a lonely existence to clean a house with just my trainer after having coworkers who knew and loved me for more than a year. I moved past that, though. The office staff is so kind and supportive, and the work culture (I hate that phrase, but what else could you call it) is positive and not at all competitive. It's hard work, and I currently have a stress-related strained wrist from lifting too many vacuums one-handed, but I love the new freedom in my weekends and nights.

So do I love it? That's a pretty strong response to have to such a new job, and I wouldn't promise that I will get there. But I don't hate my job, so that's good enough for right now.

But a full time job isn't actually the BIG news.

After close to a year and a half of saving for a DSLR camera, I have finally made a purchase. If you ever doubt the validity of online surveys as a way to save fun money, let my experience change your mind. Just in time to break a new camera in for Christmas, I have obtained a Canon Rebel t6i. A Christmas miracle, if you will.

I'm sure most of you won't care much to actually click the link to find the videos I have been making with it...but here it is, just in case: Project 1,461. It's a weird little undertaking that I have invested way too much of my life in over nearly a year so far. But now that I have a fancy camera, I WILL be making sketches and (hopefully) some short films over the next couple of years. So if you don't want to invest time daily, just check in every once in a while. :)

Remember when I used to post music recommendations? I was cuter back then, I think. But this band has evolved from Blood and Water (my high school crushes, honestly) to Talkie. You could say that we grew up together, in a way. So here's a song about being grown up now:




Comments

Popular Posts