Closing the door on brokenness.

Well now, it's been a bit. I've waited until now to write again so I would be in a better headspace...so let's go.

I have always gone back and forth about whether it is too cheesy to talk about chapters in life. I mention this mainly because I'm about to get sentimental here, and splitting my life into chapters fits with that mindset. After all, I have just closed a chapter this week. Some context before we go on:

Real adulthood started three years ago when I moved to Ames. First came the summer sublease and all the tears that went with the pyramid scheme job I never should have fallen for right out of college. Then the year in off-campus student housing, where I lived with three strangers, someone's boyfriend, and two dogs, one of which barked constantly and ate fast food at an alarming rate. When Julia and I moved into a two-bedroom apartment two years ago, I finally felt like I could settle in a little more. And here we will park for some brief reflection, because the lease is up.

The last two years have been full of changes and heartbreak and new beginnings. I've written about some of these things, and others I have kept close to my heart and shared with a few trusted people. In particular, we started attending ReNew not long after the first lease started, and many of you know that my walk with Jesus was entirely refreshed by this change. A good number of the people who matter most to me became my friends in the last year. I am regularly humbled by the service and support these friends default to in their interactions with everyone, and am blessed by how often I am on the receiving end of it all.

Soon I will take the time to properly articulate some thoughts about recent sermons and conversations I have had, because life has been rich with inclusion and love lately. I closed this chapter of early adulthood over the weekend full of excitement about moving in with my brother and relief to be starting a new job that might offer a change of pace. But there is also a great deal of sadness and brokenness that I am closing the door on by starting this new chapter, and that is one of the more prominent ways my friends have stood beside me as I process all of that.

I'll write more soon, because at the moment I am both exhausted from moving and grateful for the kindness and love I have received. I'd like to say thank you to those friends for their listening ears and patient text messages over the last couple of months. Good things...new things are on the horizon. I'm so excited to make better art and build stronger relationships.

Love you, babes. Talk soon.


Comments

Popular Posts