New Year's Promises

Tomorrow is the day that I go home...to my other home. 
Hannah told me before break to take this month aside for a lot of thinking and praying. I'll be blunt: I learned a whole heck of a ton about myself. I found out that fighting against temptation at home was a very lonely battle. It shouldn't have been, but I made it that by simply not contacting the support system from my first home. On top of that, I avoided contacting my newer support system because it was break and I wanted to give them space.
Please pardon me whilst I go bang my head up against a wall now.
I have no good excuse for that behavior. Just throwing that out there for anyone reading this. 
I never do New Year's Resolutions, but this year I have two. 
#1: Spend more time with God. This doesn't simply mean praying and reading my Bible. It means actively seeking to know the Man who created me and the Father who forgives me with an unconditional love while following the guidance of the Spirit who leads me on the path of righteousness.
#2: Share my journey with others. Too often, I shut myself away from everyone else because I am proud and unwilling to allow them to help bear my burden. Oh sure, I talk quite a bit about my struggles. But do I truly allow my friends' words of wisdom and encouragement to sink below the murky surface of my mind? Rarely. This morning, I asked God to break me once again. In all truthfulness, I think we all need to pray that every day.
So...behind every resolution needs to be a game plan. So this post on January 6, 2013 is going to be proof to myself and everyone else that I am really making this promise...to God, more than anyone.
For the first promise, I need to make a schedule...around my Jesus time, not vice versa. If circumstances threaten to change that schedule, I need to combat the distraction and stick to my commitment. Easier said than done, but at least you as a reader are witnessing this and can remind me. :)
For the second, I need to quit being such a baby about it. Whining to a select number of women in my life is not going to change anything. Starting today--not tomorrow--I must communicate when I am struggling BEFORE I stumble, not after. I have to stop believing the lie that these God-fearing people are tired of being Jesus to a fellow follower of Christ. I mean, seriously. That's what we are called to do: love one another and build each other up. 
Those are my New Year's Promises to God. Enough with the resolutions, really. They're promises...and that means we should be keeping them. Otherwise we are pretty much lying to ourselves, no one else.
Go forth and love Jesus! :)

Comments

Popular Posts