Thankful and Happy

One more day till break. I can't believe that Thanksgiving is in three days. It doesn't feel like 4 months and two days since I moved in. (Yeah, I remember dates way too well...) I grow to love this place called Northwestern more and more every day.
I am going to be super cliche and post about some things I am thankful for...mainly because my heart is full of them, and t'is the season to be thankful. :)
-A relationship with my siblings that truly is loving. They are my best friends...always have been. So many people I know here can't say that, and my heart aches for them. Nobody beats "The Johnsons" (if you are from my church and you are reading this, you get the significance of me calling us that...I swear "The Johnsons" is the three-person version of saying "the twins").
-Going directly from being homeschooled to a Christian college. As much crap as people give me (mostly in jest) about being homeschooled and sheltered, I am so thankful that I was. I may be a bit behind in some areas, but God prepared me to be here through that experience.
-Being sheltered as a kid. Whoa. Did I just say that? Ha, yeah...I did. Here's why: I had no chance to get into drugs, sex, and alcohol. Not even a little bit. I may have resented some of the things that went on with the whole protective-parent thing, but everything that truly mattered was still accessible to me and my siblings.
-Having amazing mentors in junior high, high school, and college. From Aunt Julie, Connie, and Heather back home to Hannah McBride, O-Hannah, Jess, Sara, and Kali here at school, I have had an over abundance of wisdom raining down on my brain for over 6 years now. I love being able to shoot a message home and know that prayers are being sent my way. I love being able to walk a few steps to another room on the wing, knowing that at most hours of the day or night (within reason!) there will be someone who will pray for me and give me advice or comfort. I am so very grateful for all of these women!
-My high school friends. This goes without saying...but the amazing people I was around at least once a week at church and youth group did huge things for my life. Because I was homeschooled, almost all of my friends in high school WERE from church and youth group. They put up with me for four years (some even before that) and that's crazy awesome!
-My prayer team in youth group. While we were only together for a single year, I loved my prayer team and the relationships we built for a half an hour a week. Victoria, Brad, Amanda, Katie, Marci, Michael, and Natalie...you guys are great. I miss you so much!
-Megan and Eli. This is quite an obvious one to anyone who has been around me for more than an hour. I remember when Eli was about a year and a half old...holy cow, the kid is eleven years old now! They have been my best buds and partners-in-crime for so long that I can't remember what my life was like before we met. Their innocence humbles me and their faith encourages me. I love how much they miss me and how excited they get about my coming home.
-Parents who love each other. If you don't know my Mom and Dad...you need to. Like, right now. They have been faithful to each other for 21 years and I am so very grateful for their commitment to their relationship and to God. I love that they are willing to give me space here at school--it has meant the world that I can adjust and grow up here without my parents cleaning up my messes. It also means a ton that my Daddy will call me for the sole purpose of telling me that they are praying for a difficult situation, but that if I call him, we will talk for two hours about things that hold little importance.
-My Bib Studies classmates. If you are not in VPH before Kinsinger's Bib Studies class meets, you are missing out on hilarious conversations. Oh goodness...from helping each other study for memory quizzes and cramming for tests to talking about Jimmy's amazing beard, we have such entertaining times on Monday, Wednesday, and Friday. I am going to miss that class so much.
-My RD and my RA. Hannah McBride has been a voice of wisdom in my life for only four months, but I have already learned so much from her. O-Hannah is...well, she is simply wonderful. Just ask any person who has ever met her. Y'all need to meet her. :)
-My 3North girlfriends and Alexis. :) We may not always see eye to eye...and we may not always be together. But our conversations and time spent laughing hysterically has kept me going these past four months. I love you all. :)
-Marci Diana Greig. Um. If you haven't heard me talk about this girl, you really don't know me. At all. That woman has pushed and pulled and hugged her way into my heart...and I gladly allowed it. I don't know what I would have done during my senior year if we hadn't gotten close. I love you so very much, Kit Fisto. I miss you like slime and I can't wait to see you at Christmas. *three finger poke*
-My extended family. Just like with Marci, you don't know me well if I haven't talked about my family with you. They have been one of the biggest parts of my life for 18 1/2 years now...they are amazing. :)
I would go on, but this post is super long. So I will end with the most important one.
-My relationship with Jesus Christ. Of course this one has to be last...it is the best one. :) I have grown ten-fold since I came to college, and God is the only One who can get the credit for that growth. I want my love for Jesus to be as obvious as my love for other people is.
So yeah...be thankful. And not just this month...but every month. Happy Thanksgiving, people.

Comments

Popular Posts