Watch Your Tongue

Every Saturday, I watch a show on PBS called "Lark Rise To Candleford". It deals with two different social classes in England around the 1840's or so. Most of the time, someone has to learn a lesson the hard way. Today, one of the characters said too much...and shattered a young man's dream. It hit me how easily you can say something that you'll regret.
I can say all this because I also make the same mistake sometimes. I've lost a friendship and inflicted wounds on both of us that still have not healed. "Sticks and stones may break my bones, but words will never hurt me." CURSE that phrase!! For Pete's sake, that is one of Satan's biggest lies! Wars are started over simple words that could have been left unsaid.
Now, I could be living in self-pity or even guilt because of words that I have said. In fact, many times I do. But it always drags me through the dirt, and when I come back up, I feel no better! Wouldn't it be wiser for all of us to just hold our tongues? If we don't, then at least be willing to suffer the consequences. ALL of us in this world would benefit if we kept our mouths shut. I admire people like my brother who have a tendency to remain silent and say in his own defense, "I just had nothing to say." Politicians and world leaders should quit flapping their jaws and start telling the truth.
Let me say in closing that I am so thankful for a forgiving Father. Without Him, I would still be in that dirt. Have a great weekend...and think before you speak. :)

Comments

Popular Posts